I would like to reiterate David Crawford's question: why use Metal C
instead of the complete C?

Metal C is intended for writing exits and small routines where full
functionality isn't needed.  It is a crippled C environment, and while you
may enjoy pushing it to its limits and beyond, you should at least be able
to articulate your reason for doing so.

For full disclosure, I have plenty of experience with Metal C being used...
just because somebody wanted to.

Something tells me that if IBM had called it C-lite, or Basic C, it would
have stayed in its place.

sas