From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Charles Mills
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 11:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: StackExchange proposed mainframe discussion group

I know this has come up here before. It also came up at the IBM closed
session at SHARE. I confess I did not fully understand it before and I
promised I would write a follow-up on IBM-MAIN.

Yes, IBM-MAIN is wonderful but it has some shortcomings, such as topic
drift, repeat questions, and a somewhat difficult search interface. It is
also not the way the Gen-Xers do things, and without Gen-Xers, the mainframe
is going to die.

I use https://stackoverflow.com/. I really like it. Check out the
programming questions there (NONE of them mainframe-specific).

The proposed mainframe Web-based discussion list is here:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes

Given the different look and feel, I thought stackexchange was a
"competitor" or "clone" of stackoverflow and kind of wrote off the earlier
discussion here. But nay, it is the "parent" or something like that.
https://stackexchange.com/sites

Here is the deal. In order for the mainframe group to become real, they need
people to "commit" to it. Here is what commitment means: "I commit to
participate actively in Mainframes for at least three months, especially
during the private beta, and to ask or answer at least ten questions."

Your "commitment" carries much more weight if you have a reputation score of
200 or above on any other stackxxxxx site. You get points by answering
questions, especially if your answers are up-voted by others. I had not paid
much attention to that on stackoverflow so I have a score of only 103. I
have registered now on stackoverflow to be notified of mainframe questions
so hopefully I can answer some questions and improve my reputation score.

If you have a reputation score of more than 200 on any stackxxxxx site you
can really help by committing AND making sure you use the same userid on all
stackxxxxx sites so that the mainframe group is "aware" of your reputation.

I was unclear on all of this. Hope this helps. If this is old news to you,
please just hit delete.

But please consider committing to the mainframe site, for your benefit and
for the benefit of the platform.
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes

Charles Mills