Hey Jake - let me try to explain some different ways Zowe is intended to
help a system programmer. "Is it going to act like a GUI to perform all
the system related activities?" - short answer is yes over time but don't
think of just GUI as the way to interact with z/OS.

The web user interface is intended to be a new platform for better
visualization of z/OS resources. You likely use web technology for
interacting with so many other systems in your life - email, bank, cloud,
etc. - why not use same technology for z/OS? Browser skills are pervasive
- they don't require additional software installed on your laptop/desktop.
Web provides better use of graphics, more "right click" capabilities, and
more end to end views can be written with fast path to system details.
Over the years z/OS based products have generally been built as silos or
swim lanes of expertise and not enough cross product sharing of data. One
aspect of the web UI is "app to app" communication in the web meaning one
app can invoke another, feed data to another to provide new ways of
linking applications.

System programmer productivity is another aspect. For example using the
new Zowe command line. There are many different use cases here for a power
user that wants to quickly edit a data set, submit a job, etc. You may
have your favorite editor on your laptop for editing files and you don't
like having to switch to ISPF to edit something on z/OS......via the Zowe
command line you can stay in the laptop context and Zowe will fetch a data
set behind the scene, allow it to be edited by your favorite editor and
save back to z/OS transparently. The "real" power of the command line is
being able to script commands to perform a set of actions on z/OS - using
the script language of your choice. A common use case for script is Devops
pipelines where z/OS can participate like any other platform in your
environment.

There are many other aspects that I won't ramble on about but just mention
- increase the use of today's z/OS REST APIs, extend those APIs in new
ways, encourage z/OS product teams to provide APIs as the way to interact
with their, provide a catalog of the z/OS APIs, make z/OS resources more
discoverable, .....

Part of the reason for Zowe being open source is to pool the skills of
system programmers across the industry and share both the pain points for
z/OS administration and operation plus find ways to address the issues by
sharing expertise, code and experience. If someone uses the command line
to script a common task on z/OS we what to have that contributed for
others to use. If someone has written web app that links two products
together in an innovative way we hope they will contribute to the Zowe
code base. We hope to have a Zowe "app store" in 2019 with the help of the
Open Mainframe Project for sharing of code much like the smart phones have
today - yes there are issues to be worked out on knowing the apps are safe
and trusted but the point is Zowe is not just technology - it is the
community to cause innovation.

Sorry for long post .......hope this helps

Bruce Armstrong
IBM System Z Offering Manager- zowe.org
4205 S MIAMI BLVD, DURHAM NC 27703-9141
Email: armst...@us.ibm.com