Hi,

I had an "interesting" conversation today.  Apparently some of the libraries
shipped by some vendors or at least the directions to define them specify
RECFM=U,LRECL=256.  I had never considered LRECL as an valid option when
defining a load library and so always coded RECFM=U,LRECL=0.

Is there any advantage to LRECL=256 that I am missing?

I'm used to seeing load library block sizes in various values, but LRECL I had
thought was always a constant.  I looked it up in the IBM manual and the best I
can see is that it says that LRECL=0 is "only valid for RECFM=U datasets".
Which doesn't tell me very much or answer the question.

I know that LRECL=256 works, apparently SoftwareAG has shipped their load
libraries as RECFM=U,LRECL=256,BLKSIZE=6144 for more years than I have been a
systems programmer, but I can't find anywhere where there seem to be any
"rules".

Anyone have a answer for this?  Is it possible that for RECFM=U that LRECL is
plain old "ignored:?

Brian