In article <0318129882885622.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu> you wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 12:33:58 -0400, Mark Regan wrote:
> >https://it.toolbox.com/blogs/trevoreddolls/what-mainframers-hate-mainframes-101418
>     You can run Linux on it - either in a partition or running the whole
> thing. ...
> What fraction of participants of this forum see moving to Linux for z as
> comfortably Remaining on the Mainframe?
>     ... pervasive encryption making mainframes the most secure platform ...
> Does Linux employ pervasive encryption?
>     ... free with z/OS is z/OSMF, which provides a browser-based way (with
> wizards
>     and online help) to manage z/OS from a modern-looking GUI. ...
> What sites have switched to z/OSMF, largely replacing 3270s?  Does z/OSMF
> support installation, configuration, and servicing?  Could such sites just
> sell
> all their 3270s and emulators on eBay?
> I believe there are sites running multiple Linux guests and using CMS only
> to support those guests.  I asked on IBMVM whether such a site could discard
> CMS and the idiosyncratic skill set it requires and rely solely on Linux
> itself
> for support.  Alan Altmark and others replied, emphatically, "No."
> -- gil

If you're going to use z/VM to host z/Linux, then you'd need CMS as that's
required for z/VM. But you don't have to use z/VM, you could instead
use KVM and avoid CMS. I don't think KVM is anywhere near as good as
z/VM, but at least you avoid the learning curve.

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513