Tony Thigpen wrote:

>Ok, I was not thinking clearly yesterday.

Nevermind, Sunday is supposed to be a day to rest, go to church and enjoy your
few precious times with your family, but we z/Os support don't have that
luxury, we must respond within 3.5 nanoseconds once a problem appears no matter
the time/date/urgency/impact ... ;-)

>My 'well seasoned' z/OS systems programmer was having a FIT because he thought
>someone had sent the vendor the wrong CPU-ID for an expiring product
>(VTAM-Switch) that was scheduled for a key installation this weekend. He is
>two timezones away and was telling me that I can't be reading the sticker on
>the frame correctly because of what the D M=CPU was showing.

Aw, cr*p! He is insulting you and wasting your precious time!

>The thing is, he did not even try the new key before he started the fussing.
>He just looked at the vendor's email (which included the real CPUID), looked
>at the D M=CPU and started an email war. It escalated before I had a chance to
>even think about the LPAR id.

Did I told you that he is insulting you in a royal way?

In fact, always ensure what your vendor (and your 'seasoned' programmer) has,
is EXACTLY the same what you read.

But never mind, I totally ignored that part of VTAM-Print, because I am 101%
unfamiliar with that thing.

You said: "Additionally, VTAM-Print says: (GSMINITL) THIS CPU: 758C7"

That number is not near that number you posted   ... A58C7

From my Sub-Capacity Report, I always compare that these 2 lines

Machine Serial Number     84-????? <5 numbers>
Machine Type and Model   ????-???  <4 numbers-3 numbers>

... match with this from D M=CPU, where I see this:

CPC ND = 00????.???.IBM.84.0000000?????   (That is where your A58C7 sit)
and also the same with CPC SI.

Please kick that 'well seasoned' z/OS systems programmer where the sun is not
shining and show him the door.

Thanks for your clarification anyways.

;-)

Groete / Greetings