Using USS crontab, I run a REXX every hour that checks for tape activities. If
there's no tape activity, it releases ($AJ) next tape job from SDSF input
queue. No manual intervention or monitoring required :-)

Extracts from my SDSF REXX.

rc=isfcalls("on")
ISFCONS = userid() || "OC"
isfprefix="GGM*"               -- Sets job prefix in SDSF I panel
isfowner="*"                     -- Sets owner in SDSF I panel
Address SDSF "ISFEXEC I"
J2cmd.0=1
J2cmd.1="$AJ'"JNAME.1"'"
address SDSF ISFSLASH "("j2cmd.") (WAIT)"
rc=isfcalls("OFF")

crontab is the clock daemon in USS and is a wonderful tool to automate TOD type
of processes on z/OS.

Regards,

!! Shri !!