Thanks to all that have responded - we're back and running again, but not
due to any work on my part.

My description of the failed system was not complete, for fear of confusing
the issue - it is a guest z/OS under z/VM that is supplied by a.n. other
party. I contacted them and the bad IEFUSI was renamed by a techie at their
end.

Rob: thanks for the referral to cbttape. I wasn't aware of that particular
file there. I'll take a closer look later. I've had the comfort of a
recovery system in the past. Sadly, that wasn't an option for me in this
case.

Peter: "...[54m value] has no meaning and will later be replaced..." Yes -
Overnight I began to understand that.

No matter what I've done so far, that SMF30RGN value continues to report
'54M'. I 'new' thought for me in the course of this work is that SMF30RGN
is the REGION size that was _requested_ (as per the documentation). It is
not the size actually _given_ after IEFUSI/SMF/JES, etc have finished their
meddling. As far as I make out, there is no such 'after the fact' value
logged in any part of the type30 record (or any other).

Which basically means that all this work has been a waste of time, based on
a misconception.

Peter again: [paging space related to the problem]... sorry - my poor
description there. The alternate SYS1.IPLPARM(LOADxx) member leads to an
incomplete definition that does not specify any paging space, so it won't
IPL.

Carmen and Peter: I simply did not think about the possibilities of SETPROG
EXIT..., My mind was chasing itself in circles at the time. And then the
supplier's technician fixed things up.

I must re-visit my failed 'back-out' LOADPARM member and make sure it
brings up a minimal system - possibly with whatever I find on the cbttape.

And abandon this line of effort - I'm pretty certain that SMF30RGN point
above is correct.

Unfortunately, that leaves the cause  of the original IEW4000I and CSV031I
messages unsolved. I will have to think of a different way to attack the
problem.

Regards

Sean