Hello Peter
Problem solved!
Your idea(s) regarding the SMF30 record analysis eventually led me to
reproducing the test environment used by the developer so that I could run
the tests myself.
One look at the command being used showed what the problem was - there was
a parametrised upper limit of 768M on the memory to be used. The
developer had completely missed this information. Bumping the parm value to
1G was enough to get the test through, but I'm still arguing for all such
limits to be removed - "let the system sort itself out, don't try and
'second guess' things..."

Such a simple thing, spotted by a different set of eyes being used, but
that's frequently the root cause in problems such as  this, I find.

Also, your comment about chopping columns off the REXXSTOR output showed
that I was using an old version of Mark's work. That has been addressed.

Thank you very much for all your efforts and input on this. I really
appreciate it.

Regards
Sean