On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 19:06:15 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>I believe that IND$FILE is included in your z/OS license. I also believe that
>it is long out of support and less efficient than, e.g., SFTP (yes, FTP is
>considered insecure these days.)

I suspect that some auditors are unaware that many terminal emulators imbed
IND$FILE
and employees use it to circumvent policies prohibiting data transfer.

How secure is IND$FILE?  Probably as secure for transport as the terminal
protocol.  But
it still may transgress policies prohibiting data on personal devices (ref.
HRC).

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 08:18:49 -0600, Tom Marchant wrote:

>Browsing the load module reveals this:
>
>5665-311 COPYRIGHT IBM CORP 1983,1988; LICENCED MATERIAL - PROPERTY OF IBM,
>REFER TO COPYRIGHT INSTRUCTIONS FORM NO. G120-2083
>
>1983 was several years after IBM went OCO.
>
>That, in turn was several years after they started to license and charge for
>some software.

Might there have been earlier releases not so licen[cs]e encumbered
and/or available in source?

-- gil