About all I can add is, I started to work with IND$FILE in 1987.   And the
associated fun things, like LU6.2 connections to PS/2's, PC/3270 and so on.  I
remember calling it Independent File Transfer.   At the time it was cool, but
so was Token Ring.

It was fine until someone wanted a big file, and didn't understand anything
like data compression, or how little storage they had their PS/2, even if they
got the file, they couldn't open it.  It was slow, but honestly, unless you had
something figured out a way to break file transfer into multiple streams
everything was slow, unless it was worth it to make it faster.  Dialup lasted
far longer than I ever thought it would.

"Oh bye, bye, thirty-seven-O-five, closed the valve to chiller, but the chiller
was dry..."     <--- Yes I know, 3704/3705 air cooled, but nothing else worked.

"Why can't I send a VSAM or BDAM file on IND$FILE?"    "Why can't I send
character and non-character data mixed?"  "You can, but it's not 'magic' on
both ends."  Got to know your data.

"I got my file and it's all encrypted, what's wrong?"   "You might want to
check the ASCII/TEXT box."

Still questions today on the mainframe BLKSIZE, or why a PDS won't work, on
upload and the 'encrypted' data in the end file in any place it ends up.

Mark