john.archie.mck...@gmail.com (John McKown) writes:
> https://medium.com/a-computer-of-ones-own/jean-sammet-designer-of-cobol-77c6d794365c

Sammet wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_E._Sammet
more
https://history.computer.org/pioneers/sammet.html
and
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/technology/obituary-jean-sammet-software-designer-cobol.html

sammet was (resident) in the boston programming center, 3rd flr, 545
tech square (as was Nat rochester). When the CP67/cms group was spun off
from the science center (on the 4th flr), the moved to 3rd flr and took
over the boston programming center (& sammat and rochester moved up to
the science center on the 4th flr). As the CP67 group morphed into the
vm370 group and outgrew the 3rd flr, the vm370 group moved out to the
old SBC (service bureau corporation) bldg at burlington mall.

I would come in on weekends and sometimes bring my kids. sometimes I
would set them up to play the (pdp1) spacewar port to 2250m4 (1130+2250)
... but other times they would just run up and down the halls.  Sammet
was usually the only other person on the flr ... to complain about the
noise my kids running up & down the halls.

posts mentioning 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech
cambridge science center wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Scientific_Center