Well, ...  the IBM 1401 was built in a substantial frame; and in the
context cited it appears to have the only (hence surely the "main")
computer present.  Other members of the same general family like IBM
1410 were certainly regarded as a mainframe.  I'm pretty sure any
computer large enough to require one or more dedicated frames  was
called a "mainframe" in those days.  When mini-computers first came out,
they weren't considered mainframes because they were typically only the
size of a single rack and could even be carried.

 With a recent MS in Comp Sci, I found myself in the U.S. Army 1969-1971
(started in Infantry but ended up as head Company Clerk at HHC of "The
Old Guard" at Ft Myer VA).  I remember reading some memo that came down
from above the Battalion suggesting the possibility of using a
punched-card-based system for maintaining and producing our Company
Roster.  That might have involved an IBM 1401, but my impression at the
time was that the functions they were describing could easily have been
done with just unit-record equipment.  Nothing ever came of it while I
was there.   It would have saved us the periodic tedium of one or more
man-hours of manually typing up a new roster in which few names changed,
but given that our time was cheap and available, there would have been
no way to cost-justify using a process that would save our time but slow
down the overall process by requiring outside resources.   Clearly, at
that time, punched card decks were one of the databases used for
tracking military personnel.
    Joel C. Ewing

On 12/26/18 2:42 PM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> What is he smoking? Since when was the 1401 a mainframe?
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

Joel C. Ewing