[Default] On 1 Jan 2019 21:58:00 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
bruce_hew...@hotmail.com (Bruce Hewson) wrote:

>and for those who have no real idea about the IBM1401

Back in the early to mid 1960s the site I was working at had a 1401
that ran an order entry system that used 1311 disks.  The product,
customer and other direct access files were on the disks.  The
invoices were printed and a tape with billing information was written.
The input was cards converted from paper tapes fed by the various
warehouses and shipping documents were punched out to be split by
warehouse and sent to the warehouses by dedicated keypunches that
could teletype the orders to warehouses (special modification done by
the person who became my boss).  It took about 3 hours from entry of
order to shipment.  This was first replaced by 360/30 with 1401
emulation that ran the 1401 emulation and a very stripped version of
QTAM so the card input that the 1401 program saw was actually input
from QTAM and the punched card output became direct transmissions to
the field.  The 1401 direct access files became 360 ISAM files on
2311s.

Clark Morris