This post is not intended to be enlightening; it's merely corroborative. We
recently went from z12EC to z14. We had already upgraded to z/OS 2.3 with
hardware support service. In the week or so afterwards, we experienced a
handful of 'storage shortage abends' in tasks that had been running unchanged
for years. AFAIK no technical explanations ever came forth. In the few PMRs we
opened, the advice was to increase region size. We did. Problems went away.
Move on.

I do have one piece of advice. Never specify a smallish region size. If it's
worth your time and effort to type in any region size at all, go for some
number >16M. It generally costs nothing and may save some debugging grief down
the road. I've seen cases where 0M may be required for a particular product.
Again, the cost of doing so is minimal. Why quibble? Someone needs to refresh
the communal coffee pot.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson