From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Dana Mitchell
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Internal Coupling Channel on z13

Brian,

We've actually been thinking about this too, as we evaluate moving to z14's. We
currently have a 5 member GRS ring that could really benefit moving to GRS
Star,  but nobody want's to spend any $ for an ICF.

As of BC12 generation IBM was still recommending against using GPs for CF
processors:

According to an IBM paper titled:  Coupling Thin Interrupts and CF Performance
in Shared Processor Environments

While it is possible to use general purpose processors, CPs, as CF processors
and share the CPs with z/OS and other similarly defined CFs, this is not a
recommended configuration. Using CPs as CF processors creates interaction
between z/OS and the CF in terms of cache reuse and other factors that may
impact performance.

Dana