I agree with the recommendation to get a CF engine as the best/first choice
all around. I also agree to proceed with caution if you're going to share
one or more CPs between the Coupling Facility Control Code (CFCC) and z/OS
and/or other operating systems. "Proceed with caution" is not the same
thing as "don't." You just want to be extra careful, test well, and back
off the idea if it's not suitable in your environment since there are some
potential issues that could surface.

However, if you have one or more CPs (general purpose processors) that
you're willing to *dedicate* to a CFCC LPAR, this caution doesn't apply. In
this case you're using a dedicated CP as if it were a CF engine, and that's
perfectly fine. You might be dedicating a sub-capacity CP (or more than
one) with different capacity characteristics than a CF engine, but there's
no particular issue with that as long as you have sufficient capacity for
your needs.

Or, if you have some "trivial" z/OS workload sharing that CP with the CFCC,
such as a "sandbox" z/OS LPAR for system programmers that sees little
activity, that might be fine.

There are certain upgrade scenarios when it can make a great deal of sense
to use one or more CPs for the CFCC for relatively brief periods of time.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com