Replying to the original post because of this statement:

"I think maybe we bypassed some HOLDs back then too."

One the hardest lessons for an SMP/E newbie to grasp is when it's OK to bypass
a HOLD condition and when it's not. First the nots.

It's not (or virtually never) OK to bypass an error hold. If you bypass an
error hold, you're telling SMP/E to apply PTF(s) that have been found to be and
are declared in error. The nature of that error can vary widely. It may be that
some additional action was not mentioned in a hold record. Or this PTF, if
applied, may cause a new problem. In general, PTFs in error should (almost)
never be applied unless you are very confident that the identified problem will
not affect you, or Level 2 Support has advised you to forge ahead for the sake
of fixing a more serious problem. These cases are rare, but they can occur.

Most other hold conditions may--even should--be bypassed. See

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.gim2000/namsys.htm

for an exhaustive inventory of 'system' ids. You should read these hold
records, take action if appropriate, but not bother bypassing them. Be prepared
for CC 8. Look in the Causer Report to make sure nothing unexpected has popped
up, and move on. Regular maintenance is time-consuming enough without spinning
wheels on the tedium of bypassing hold records just for the sake of CC 0. The
outcome will be the same anyway.

As someone else said, rather than try to restore an iffy PTF, you're generally
better off with APPLY REDO. It's possible that a new hold condition has emerged
since the original apply, but you need to deal with that anyway. As a friend of
mine likes to say, software maintenance is an art, not a science. The longer
you do it, the better your nose gets.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson