From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any easier way to determine if DD is dummy than GETDSAB?

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:20 AM Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I've got a requirement to determine whether a DD is allocated DUMMY. I know
> how to find the TIOT, get the JFCB with SWAREQ, check for 'NULLFILE' and
> loop through all of the JFCB chain. Is there any easier way? That's a lot
> of
> complexity for a simple question!
>
> Why? I'm trying to avoid an S013-64 on a BPAM file if the user does not
> supply a DSN to a PROC. I'm defaulting the DSN to NULLFILE. I'd like to be
> able to determine that from my program.
>
> The program is in IBM C but I can readily call out to assembler. The OPEN
> for the BPAM DCB is in assembler, not using the C library.

RDJFCB will also return NULLFILE for a DD DUMMY. Unfortunately, it also
returns that for a UNIX PATH= file.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.idas300/rdjfcb.htm

> Thanks!
>
> Charles

I just burned 2000 calories!
That's the last time I'll nap with brownies in the oven.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown