Attila might have cracked the code, but I want to highlight something
Seymour mentioned and expand on it.

The presence or absence -- and the configuration -- of a 3270 session
manager might have some impact on how "special" keys are handled, so that's
another possible variable. IBM's CL/SUPERSESSION, CA's TPX, Macro 4's
Tubes, and many others are out there.

Also, and especially if you're not using TLS-encrypted TN3270E that
terminates at/within z/OS itself (you should be!), there are some possible
"intermediaries" that can occasionally affect the datastream. I've seen
some cases where a customer has installed a "man in the middle" server that
intercepts TN3270E traffic and adds an initial signon screen that requires
entering a perishable key of some kind. (No, that doesn't make much sense
if the traffic is unencrypted, but what can I say?) There could even be
different, alternative, often ancient TN3270E servers in lieu of
Communications Server for z/OS, usually as some vestige of a network design
and deployment that probably ought to be updated. And, in years past (long
ago now), there were a couple bugs that needed swatting in clients and in
Communications Server for z/OS, and there are still some configuration
settings that might be impactful.

I recently worked with a z/VSE customer that has TCP/IP for z/VSE (not
IPv6/VSE). TCP/IP for z/VSE includes a reasonable TN3270E server, but that
particular server implementation doesn't support 3270 printer sessions
specifically. And they need one 3270 printer session for what they're
doing. IPv6/VSE and its TN3270E server is a good solution to address that
particular requirement. Or they could have set up a "classic" non-IP 3270
printer session in VTAM for z/VSE, and that still works as long as you're
"close enough" to the machine and haven't got anything in the network
that'd balk at classic protocols. Or they could move to a newer and better
virtual/electronic printing path using, for example, VSE2PDF. However,
every IBM Z machine that has an OSA-Express 1000BASE-T adapter has the
OSA-Integrated Console Controller (ICC) function, and OSA-ICC includes a
TN3270E server, built into the firmware. And yes, that TN3270E server
supports 3270 printer sessions, with TLS encryption too. So they're able to
run the one 3270 printer session they need via the OSA-ICC's TN3270E server
(could be more than one, but they only need one), while their 3270 terminal
connections still run through the TCP/IP for z/VSE TN3270E server.

My point here is that somebody, maybe, is running your 3270 sessions via
the OSA-ICC. That's possible, depending on what you're doing and how you're
configured. And it's also possible that certain behaviors are different
when you're coming in through that particular path. As a general rule the
OSA-ICC should be reserved for a very few consoles, just as advertised, but
it doesn't necessarily have to be. IBM cautions that this particular corner
of OSA-ICC function hasn't been exhaustively performance tested, but the
z/VSE customer I worked with is happy with their printing performance once
they got it set up correctly. And I suspect IBM's caution is much less
meaningful with newer OSA-Express 1000BASE-T features.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com