Replying to the original question. There may well be a better way to manage DR
than what we do, but we have not been pitched one in 20+ years. We own both
PROD and DR data centers and all contents. The DR site runs XRC ('Global
Mirroring for Z', a truly execrable name). Its only job in life is to pull data
from PROD and continuously update a full set of secondary volumes that
correspond to the full set of primary volumes. It runs on one general purpose
CP supported by enough CBU to mimic a full set of DR LPARs including CFs. When
we're ready for a test, we push a GDPS button to FLASH the secondary volumes
over to a tertiary set and make them look (almost) exactly like the primary
set. We IPL and run from the tertiary set. Meanwhile mirroring continues to the
secondary set so at any moment we could enter a real DR with no data loss.

The z/OS license on the DR box is ' ZNALC', which allows us to run DR but no
portion of production or application development. Even the skinflint bean
counters are satisfied that this is a good deal. We don't have to pay any third
party for resources. Nor do we have to schedule test windows. And most
important of all, in the case of a regional disaster--for SoCal read
earthquake--we would not have to compete with other clients for DR run time.

If you're looking for some 'other way' to manage DR, be sure that these issues
are accounted for. Or else not critical for your enterprise.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company