Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! I've collected it all and will work with the team to sort out items that aren't already on our radar and add them to our list of potential improvements. I can tell right now that some items are within our control and some unfortunately aren't, but we'll do our best to implement as many as possible.

For a little background on the new look of the PDFs, we were instructed to move to new build tooling, and the new PDF visual style just came along with it. Our team worked hard over the past months to prepare our z/OS content source for the drastic under-the-covers changes, but there's still work to do on the source and, if deemed necessary and possible via requirements or such, on the tooling. Rest assured that we'll continue working to make the PDFs as usable as possible for you all!

In response to the comments about PDF file names, you REALLY don't want to rename the PDFs. Most importantly, doing so breaks all cross-book links. Instead, as suggested by others here, use the index.html file. To do so, go to the PDF download page ( https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zOSV2R3Library ), select "Download all z/OS V2R3 Library publications to ZIP file," extract the whole thing into the suggested directory structure, open the included index.html file, and click the links to open the downloaded local versions of the PDFs. Alternatively, on the PDF download page, you can just click "Show all PDF files" and then search for a cryptic (though sans any spaces or weird characters!) file name or title or order number to quickly map it to the other information about a PDF. I've even been known to do this myself in a pinch.

Also, Gil asked about "zOS_V2R3_Documentation.pdx". That's very much still around - it's the search file for the Acrobat Indexed PDF collection. We'll have a fresh V2R3 collection that contains all these new DCS PDFs posted within the next few days. If you bookmark and always start at the z/OS Internet Library ( http://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary ), you'll always see all the different options for product documentation, other content, related helpful tools, etc.

We really appreciate this feedback, so please keep it coming. (The best way to do so is through the "Feedback" link on KC: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3/en/homepage.html . It's then formally tracked and you get updates on progress.) As always, feel free to drop me a direct note if you have a question and I'll try to help.

-Sue Shumway

--
Sue Shumway
z/OS Product Documentation Lead