Did you press F1 after getting RC=08 in ISMF.  Sometimes you can get a better
explanation that way.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Pace
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2019 12:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISMF msg

I fixed it, but not sure why/how it wasn't working.
At some point I remember my SYS1.DFSMS.SCDS was missing the correct
configuration.  The ACDS was correct, but I wasn't sure how to get it retrieve
in to an SCDS. I finally remembered that I could save the ACDS into a new SCDS.
 That became SYS3.DFSMS.SCDS.  I made SYS3.DFSMS.SCDS the current SCDS and it
was that one I was trying to update.  So I tried to SAVESCDS to the old
SYS1.DFSMS.SCDS.  That worked and I can now update SYS1.DFSMS.SCDS with the new
volume and activate it.

I checked in RACF and I had no rules protecting the SYS3 datasets, so I don't
think that was the issue.