On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 7:37 AM Elardus Engelbrecht <
elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:

> John McKown wrote:
>
> >> What would you do if they insist to use database without paying for
> database license?
> >The database in question has a permanent license, so that it not a
> problem.
>
> Excellent. Do you need to pay the vendor every x period? Or is that
> license just an once-off annoyance?

It is fully paid off. So it is now free to run. But no maintenance.

> >The problem is that it is running on a old Windows server; which is being
> decommissioned. And the software apparently will not run a current Windows
> server.
>
> I got burned by a similar situation. Some hardware broken down, but
> luckily I could scavenge some 'newish' hardware. I tried to install windoze
> 2008, XP and 98, only got a nasty BSOD during initial phase of installation
> despite fiddling around with BIOS settings.
>
> Installing a newer windoze worked, but I soon ran into compatibility
> issues, just like you.
>
> So, if your windoze server's hardware crash, you may have some recovery
> problem (hopefully AFTER you retired ... <grin> )

Well, the Windows people basically have said that it _IS_ going to be
decommissioned. If you can't run your software on a current server, TOO BAD
FOR YOU.

--
I just burned 2000 calories!
That's the last time I'll nap with brownies in the oven.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown