On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:57 AM R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> database license?
> >> The database in question has a permanent license, so that it not a
> problem.
> > Excellent. Do you need to pay the vendor every x period? Or is that
> license just an once-off annoyance?
> >

> >> The problem is that it is running on a old Windows server; which is
> being decommissioned. And the software apparently will not run a current
> Windows server.
> > I got burned by a similar situation. Some hardware broken down, but
> luckily I could scavenge some 'newish' hardware. I tried to install windoze
> 2008, XP and 98, only got a nasty BSOD during initial phase of installation
> despite fiddling around with BIOS settings.
> >
> > Installing a newer windoze worked, but I soon ran into compatibility
> issues, just like you.
> >
> > So, if your windoze server's hardware crash, you may have some recovery
> problem (hopefully AFTER you retired ... <grin> )
>
> In that case you should be able to run current Windows on new x86
> (actually x64) server and run some VM hypervisor (i.e. VirtualBox) and
> WindowsXP under the VM.
> License should also be no problem.

A good idea. But the Windows people simply refuse to do it. They have been
told that the old Windows is a security risk and it must be decommissioned.
No option. If it causes the mainframe people any problems that's just their
tough luck. But we still want those reports! In any case, the SMF 70-1 data
along with an in-house written routine seems to be able to get the data
that my boss wants. And it is much more reliable than the Windows
application.

--
I just burned 2000 calories!
That's the last time I'll nap with brownies in the oven.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown