Thanks Rob, the top of my rexx is basically the same as your test and seemed to
behave the same as mine.  But your suggestion prodded me in the right direction
to an explanation of whats going on.  What I discovered, is in the PFKey
settings used in SDSF EDIT,  'ISF Keylist ISFEDKEY'   I had the PFkeys set to:

PF22 . . ;CA E
PF23 . . ;CA V

Once I removed the ';'  from the beginning of the command all is well and
working correctly.  I thought at one time,  the prefix ';'  was needed on a
pfkey to simulate the command preserving the cursor position,  but apparently
that isn't needed any more.  Seems like it was initially needed for the QW
clist to allow point and shoot at message numbers.   Further,  I don't find any
reference to the prefix ';'   in ISPF User's Guide Vol II.  The only special
characters shown there are ':'  and  '>'.    Could this have changed sometime
in the last (cough cough) years?

Dana