From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Frank Swarbrick
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 12:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Dumps and cancelling jobs

The discussion about non-recoverable abends and cancelling jobs brings to mind
an "issue" I've had since we migrated from z/VSE to z/OS in 2010.  If I recall
correctly, if a job was cancelled in z/VSE the "dump analysis" product
(Abend-Aid, IBM Fault Analyzer, et al) would still get control and produce a
nice formatted dump.  With z/OS this does not appear to be the case.  So if we
cancel a job that, for example, appears to be in a infinite loop we have no way
to know even where within the program its looping, much less what the program
data is.

Did we perhaps just miss some option that would allow our dump analysis program
to take control when a job is cancelled?