On Tue, 7 May 2019 14:24:26 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> At least support, for consistency:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.bpxa400/pathname.htm
>
> ... A path name can be up to 1023 characters long, including
>     all directory names, file names, and separating slashes. ...

Yes, although I can tell you that this is the limit imposed by Windows
(I think), and for npm, even that has proven to be a problem. Deeply
nested Java class paths also bump into this.

I don't really understand why there should need for any limit at all.
Hasn't anyone heard of malloc? :-)

> The enhancement should apply to JCL allocation as well as DYNALLOC.

Hmm, yet another code path. Though it might well be that fixing it in
DYNALLOC would fix it for JCL as well.

> Does any SVC 99 TU exceed 256 characters?  Is this a relic of the
> MVC instruction?

Dollars to donuts that's the reason.