Have experienced the second paragraph many times.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 1:28 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

Sometimes management won't let  you correct a security problem until an auditor
finds it. A package or service that locates *real* threats can be very useful
leverage for tightening things up.

OTOH, an auditor, product or service that claims bogus security issues,
sometimes missing real issues at the same time, is worse than useless.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh <vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: mainframe hacking "success stories"?

I guess the point of contention really is "vULnErAbiliTIeS"...
Words have meaning, a vulnerability is not equal to a loosely
configured/hardened system.
Of course, I could be wrong but I take the word to mean zero-days or something
that breaks a module/function, and the way it breaks is exploited for further
foothold, etc.
An open wound is vulnerable, but not wearing your seatbelt is NOT  a
vulnerability, it's a risk!
Yes, when the CEO has to issue a public statement it doesn't matter whose turf
the hole is in, but that doesn't mean common sense goes out the window, and
suddenly 2 random and unrelated things are equal.

Way too many times, a normal, but potentially dangerous config miss/omission is
labelled as VULNERABILITY VULNERABILITY VULNERABILITY VULNERABILITY YOUR
MAINFRAME IS DOOMED, YOUR RACF TEAM IS AN ABSOLUTE ZERO, YOU ARE DONE FOR.....
unless you hire us and we can sort it all out for you.
Everyone's gotta pay bills, sure, but I'm not particularly fond of the kind of
salesman that creates the demand --just to push their product--... like the
pen-selling example in the Wolf of Wall Street.
Products are cool, but what's cooler is what people can achieve with vanilla
stuff.
A beautifully setup piece of REXX/ASM/bunch of scripts on various platforms can
easily outperform Next Gen security greatness.
Not being completely dismissive of course, but many times, it's easier to stick
in a product than doing the hard thing, which is to learn to be efficient and
effective with what you've got.

- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure