From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Gabe Goldberg <g...@gabegold.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: mainframe hacking "success stories"?

I had a Sev 1 APAR against PROFS (or when it became OfficeVision) by
pointing out that (at least on VM) sending a document with embedded .sy
control word could, say, quietly format recipient's A disk (for those
who've never touched VM, that's a VM user's personal storage). Tricky
fix was making NOSY (or whatever option disabled processing .sy) the
default. Presumably the problem and fix applied wherever OV appeared.

Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> said correctly:

 > And when some "genius" at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to
 > be able to embed arbitrary code in a document, it meant that someone
could
 > do anything they wanted to do to your computer just by sending you a
document.

To be fair, that issue existed in Script way back when.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433