On Thu, 9 May 2019 15:08:28 -0500, Lionel B Dyck wrote:

>The issue seems to be that the z/VM RSCS, or the SMTP server, was taking the
>data and truncating it to 80 bytes.
>
>I had the site change the secure_smtp setting in the XMITIPCU configuration
>file from null to 1. This has nothing to do with security but SMTP on z/OS
>would only validate the sending userid if the email arrived in NETDATA format
>(TSO Transmit). By changing the setting to 1 to tell XMITIP that the SMTP
>security was in play (even if it isn't) then XMITIP sent the email in NETDATA
>format which solved the problem  I had forgotten about this setting as it was
>put in back in 2001 for a site that requested it and never thought about using
>for this purpose.

Silly rule.  PITA, in fact; Shouldn't need to encode text/plain.

OK.  You appear to be sending via NJE, not Internet.  What if the sender were a
non-IBM system (e.g. Linux) which knows only Internet?  I've done this in the
distant past, as the CMS recipient.  But things may have changed:
o Internet is ASCII-based.  How can you be sure the same ASCII<=>EBCDIC
  code pages are used by both sender and recipient; crucial for binary files
  such as NETDATA and .zip.  (But base64 inoculates against most hazards.)
  The XMITIP doc says precious little about which code pages are used/presumed.
  is that worth a RCF?  Can the user control this, something like SBDATACONN?
o "validate the sending userid"  Is this new practice, (not in my ancient
memory)?
  I certainly got mail from strangers.  Does this rule apply only to NJE?

-- gil