From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS SMTP Question - solved

Silly rule.  PITA, in fact; Shouldn't need to encode text/plain.

OK.  You appear to be sending via NJE, not Internet.  What if the sender were a
non-IBM system (e.g. Linux) which knows only Internet?  I've done this in the
distant past, as the CMS recipient.  But things may have changed:
o Internet is ASCII-based.  How can you be sure the same ASCII<=>EBCDIC
  code pages are used by both sender and recipient; crucial for binary files
  such as NETDATA and .zip.  (But base64 inoculates against most hazards.)
  The XMITIP doc says precious little about which code pages are used/presumed.
  is that worth a RCF?  Can the user control this, something like SBDATACONN?
o "validate the sending userid"  Is this new practice, (not in my ancient
memory)?
  I certainly got mail from strangers.  Does this rule apply only to NJE?

-- gil