On Tue, 14 May 2019 11:29:22 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>IIRC, Rocket will supply the source if you request it. It is not, IMO,
>easily available because you must ask for it and give Rocket information.
>As best as I know, asking for information before supplying source is
>allowed by the GPL. That is the "price" for the software. GPL addresses the
>right to source (free as in freedom), but does not require that it be
>gratis (free as in beer). I just reviewed the license. It does not put any
>sort of restriction on the "price" itself. So I guess that I could try
>taking some GNU software, modifying it for z/OS, then charge a 1_000_000
>dollars for the modified source. Not that I would.

I disagree. See part 6 of the GPL v3 " for a price no more than your
reasonable cost of physically performing this conveying of source".

<quote>
b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
    (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a
    written offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as
    long as you offer spare parts or customer support for that product
    model, to give anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a
    copy of the Corresponding Source for all the software in the
    product that is covered by this License, on a durable physical
    medium customarily used for software interchange, for a price no
    more than your reasonable cost of physically performing this
    conveying of source, or (2) access to copy the
    Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.
</quote>

GPL v1 and GPL v2 have similar clauses.

--
Tom Marchant