Eladus,
My friend I have an exit feeding a piece of storage I had an inquiry asking
could we write what we captured
straight to disk ...

Scott

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 1:36 PM Elardus Engelbrecht <
elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:

> scott Ford wrote:
>
> >It is still true you can do I/O , disk I/O in particular from say a RACF
> exit, in particular IRREVX01 ?
>
> You can only use what is documented. I did a quick RTFM, apparently
> IRREVX01 is not (or cannot!) doing disk I/O due to the nature of how it is
> being called in the first place. IRREVX01 receives the command issued twice
> during pre and post processing calls.
>
> I am not sure where the IRREVX01 is running - in the address space of the
> RACF command issuer or in RACF system address space.
>
> The only inputs for IRREVX01 are some flags in the parameter list and
> command buffer. IRREVX01 can modify the contents of the keywords of the
> intended command issued. Output allowed is a message area which you can
> place your own message. There is also a communication area for exchange
> between the pre and post processing.
>
> I know you're a developer, you probably should know that some exits are
> assembled and later called in a specific way and environment. SMF exits can
> for example do some I/O, issue WTOs, calling other services, etc., but then
> only if it is documented and usable.
>
> For what is worth, I don't know if z/OS is _actively suppressing_
> undocumented things like I/O for exits or just let you have a nasty Abend
> plus dumps.
>

> >Or am i mistaken..I was thinking about somehow talking to LOGGER ...
>
> LOGGER? What LOGGER? System Logger? Syslog? LOGREC? SMF exits/macros used
> to write out something? Or something else?
>
> Or, if you can, why are you asking or what are you trying to solve?
>
> Groete / Greetings
> Eladus Engelbrecht

*IDMWORKS *

Scott Ford

z/OS Dev.

“By elevating a friend or Collegue you elevate yourself, by demeaning a
friend or collegue you demean yourself”

www.idmworks.com

scott.f...@idmworks.com

Blog: www.idmworks.com/blog

*The information contained in this email message and any attachment may be
privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
use of this message and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and permanently delete it from your computer and destroy any
printout thereof.*