Whether or not you are in an environment that would allow you to issue
I/O, you should also consider whether it is appropriate to do so.
Doing I/O from a system exit can cause system performance problems. It is
the responsibility of system exits to be "well behaved".'

It is wrong to assume that lack of documentation means "it is OK". Quite
the reverse. Lack of documentation means that you should not assume "it is
OK" -- but you could/should ask that the documentation be clarified to be
explicit.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design