I would not convert it to LE.

I have strong feelings that any system tool like this must be able to run in a crippled system with as little support from the OS as possible.

As an opinion, I think that simple programs like this should not be converted to base-less programming either. One, there is no need and second, I believe that abend fixing is easier with a base address.

KISS rules. :-)

I have no real opinion about making a unix command as I don't really use unix that much, but personally I would prefer that a unix user not have access to VM commands.

Tony Thigpen