The problem with SSD storage is that the blocks in a matched set of
device start to fail at the same rate.  Run long enough and you get
enough bad blocks in all devices and they all fail at roughly the same
time loosing the entire raid group, you don't have enough time between
failures to replace and recreate before the next drive goes.  Close
monitoring of the physical failure rate is important to start swapping
and rebuilding raid.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12046524

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM Buckton, T. (Theo) <the...@nedbank.co.za> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a possibility of performance degradation if SSD storage is added to
> SMS storage group that consists mainly of 15K SAS storage. Database tables
> are written to the storage group.
> We use a Dynamic Provisioning pool at disk subsystem level.
>
> Regards
>

> Nedbank Group Limited Internal Use Only
> ********************
>
> Nedbank disclaimer and confidentiality notice:
>
> This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or
> otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of
> this email or all or some of the information contained therein, do not
> duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any
> attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless
> specifically indicated, this email is neither an offer or a solicitation to
> buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or
> service, nor is it an official confirmation of any transaction or an official
> statement of Nedbank. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank. Nedbank Ltd Reg No
> 1951/000009/06.
>
> The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and
> Company Secretary. [http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm]
>
> If you do not want to click on a link, please type the relevant address in
> your browser

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA