From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [External] Re: Hybrid SMS Storage Group - Database

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:40 AM Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with SSD storage is that the blocks in a matched set of
> device start to fail at the same rate.  Run long enough and you get
> enough bad blocks in all devices and they all fail at roughly the same
> time loosing the entire raid group, you don't have enough time between
> failures to replace and recreate before the next drive goes.  Close
> monitoring of the physical failure rate is important to start swapping
> and rebuilding raid.

This can happen with HDs also. We (Windows LAN) had a catastrophic failure
years ago. On the weekend, the LAN backups failed. The storage admin decided
"no problem I'll fix it Monday". We had an HD in the array fail.
"No problem, RAID will keep us going." While the CE was on his way in to
replace the failed HD, a second drive in the array failed. No array. No current
backup. Result: New storage administrator.

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.