Charles Mills wrote:

>What happens if an SMF exit modifies the SMF record? Do the next exit in the
>chain, SYS1.MANx and/or the stream see the modified record, or is the exit
>only modifying a "private copy" of the SMF record?

It should be able to do that provided the SMF exit is getting the address
(fullword) of the SMF record in register 1. Each SMF record is passed to an
installation exit (either IEFU83, IEFU84, or IEFU85) before it is written to
the SMF data set. But there is one catch, Inside the SMF exit, you cannot use
the SMFWTM or SMFEWTM macro to write to the SMF data set, because the exits are
called by SMFWTM/SMFEWTM.

Of course, SMF records needed to be collected and then written out instead of
being suppressed by the exits themselves.