On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 10:04, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I get the difference between installation exits and other exits. A SYNAD
> exit is certainly an exit, but it is not in the same class with an IEFU83
> exit.
>
> But I fail to get the distinction relative to CSVFETCH. Installation X wants
> to monitor every QSAM close, so they write some code and install it as an
> IEFU8x exit. Installation Y wants to monitor every LOAD/FETCH, so they write
> some code and install it as a CSVFETCH exit. What is the fundamental
> difference?

UNIX and Windows (and more generally C) programmers would probably
call the SYNAD type of exit a "callback". You use some mechanism
(function pointer, name, whatever) to make known a routine to a
service you call, and the service may, either exceptionally or as a
routine part of what it does for a living, call your routine at some
point in processing.

I'm not sure what UNIX/Windows people call the CSVFETCH or IEFU83 kind
of exit. Possibly "plugin"s? Hmmm... I see that for the versions of
one of our products that run on UNIX and Windows, we call them "user
exits". I don't know if that is standard terminology on those
platforms, or something that was borrowed from our z/OS product, which
has similar exits.

Tony H.