I have a batch process in zOS 2.1 (soon to be 2.3) that creates a large
text file I want to FTP to a zLinux system.

How can I use bpxbatch tar or compress (or ?) to create a smaller file I
can ftp instead instead of the original file? I don’t want to use pkzip
unless that’s the only choice. Terse is no good because Linux can’t unterse
it.

Is there a way to specify a DD name for the input and output files, similar
to how FTP allows put/get //DD:<dd name>

Part two... the text in the file is EBCDIC, but Linux wants ASCII. I don’t
see an option to do the conversion.

I’ll have to check tr, but maybe there’s a way to use more traditional Unix
syntax like

cat //dd:in | tr ... | tar -cv //dd:out

Cheers,
Don