I’m not considering the cost of compression  in relation to the transfer
savings because the size of the files is huge (several million lines of
text) that compress really well. Pkzip/gzip seems to get well over 80%
compression. Then yes, after the mvs job step runs, the ftp target is in
another city or even continent, and the ftp traffic is encrypted inflight
using ftps.

My goal is to to compress the text file prior to ftp.

Can bpxbatch programs like tar read/write from/to dd names, or fully
qualified dataset names instead of Unix-like file paths?

Don