From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Clark Morris
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Capital One Data Breach-100 Million Customers affected

[Default] On 31 Jul 2019 06:58:19 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
jcew...@acm.org (Joel C. Ewing) wrote:

>And I noticed a reprinted Washington Post article in my local paper
>today "Bank data stolen despite cloud push", which clearly indicates
>bank management had the perception that  somehow removing data from
>Capital One's direct physical control  to Amazon Web Services on the
>cloud would "improve" security rather than just add different paths for
>attack.   Can't help but wonder if this move to "cut back" on Capital
>One's data centers also involved laying off the people that might have
>been smart enough to configure their firewall correctly and avoid the
>breach.

Since configuration problems have hit the mainframe, I suspect that platform
didn't matter.  I am beginning to believe that the most secure platform is the
one where it is easiest (and mostly by default) to secure to the limits of the
platform.  Since this isn't a set and forget issue, good practices need to be
in place so that ex-employees don't have access.  Why was the person accused of
the breach able to access the cloud?  Did she need credentials in order to get
by the
improperly configured firewall?   I suspect that all companies need an
HR application that causes review of an employee's/contractor's access every
time they change position and when their employment is terminated.

Clark Morris