[Default] On 31 Jul 2019 14:44:53 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
jesse1.robin...@sce.com (Jesse 1 Robinson) wrote:

>One frequent selling point for cloud solutions is that WE the hired-hand
>storage experts can take better care of your precious data than you can. I
>sense Death of a Salesman...

Figuring out who should have access to what is an ongoing zoo where
who can either be a person or an entity (another program, etc.).
Someone should have it today but not tomorrow.  Then for problem
determination purposes is it always feasible to obscure copies for
production data?  How well protected are test and quality assurance
environments? mirror data centers?  Customer Service Representatives
by the nature of their jobs may require access to confidential data on
any customer who might call in as would any online customer
application.  In both cases the representative or the application is
the one who determines whether a customer is entitled to the
information with the added problem that the customer service
representative can misuse their access.

In the Capital 1 case, apparently someone at Capital 1 failed to do
their part and it brings up the point as to how much expertise is
required on the application owner's part and how much any service
provider can do to make sure the client organization has got the
security it needs.  If some entity can get into the system and look
like an authorized service user, that system will decrypt and format
the requested information.  A straight disk dump (FDR/ABR, DF/HSM or
IDCAMS for example) is not going to provide anything that is easily
readable or decipherable.

Clark Morris