On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I am doing a favor for a friend who is writing a blog article on the above
> subject, with an emphasis on the effect of the shrinking mainframe
> personnel
> pool. (This is NOT some disguised headhunter pitch. Reply to the list or to
> me personally. I will take full responsibility for "sanitizing" your e-mail
> address and so forth out of what I forward to my friend.)
>
> Does your employer allow mainframe sysprogs and developers to work from
> home?

Yes. The application programmers, both of them, oftern work from home. The
sysprogs generally don't. I'm a sysprog. If I were at home, I'd be too
tempted to play games.

> Any particular restrictions or qualifications?

Restriction: get the job done.

> Have they changed their policies specifically to address the shrinking
> mainframe personnel pool?

Yes. They have said that we will be eliminated as soon as possible. They've
been saying this for over 6 years now with 2 failed attempts. We were just
bought out by a multinational who has reiterated that the IBM z mainframes
will be elimnated and the ;work moved to a software package called Facets.
They are also said that this cannot occur quickly because we have so many
"customized" policies (health insurance) that Facets cannot handle the
thousands of variations. So they are waiting until they can refuse renewal,
convince the customer to change policies, or the customer dies (I am
guessing this later, management would never say that.)

> Roughly what percentage of your colleagues work from home?

Both programmers, about 50% of the time. 3 sysprogs, almost never because
we need to be here to do "operations" duties -- like kicking the accursed
3494-B10 when it messes up (a fairly often thing, it being 13 years old).

--
I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go
into the library and read a good book

Maranatha! <><
John McKown