On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 16:13:36 +0000, Seymour J Metz  wrote:

>Could there be legal issues? Does the UNIX® certification process allow the
>default shell to be anything but Bourne?

POSIX requires in some cases that it not be Bourne.  POSIX shell requires
tilde expansion, absent in Bourne shell.

POSIX requires that system() invoke a POSIX shell.  Bash may deviate.

I don't know that POSIX discusses a "default shell".

BTW:
    534 $ X=Out; { X=In; true; } </dev/null; echo $X
    In
... seems POSIXly correct to me.  I've known one "Bourne" shell that
prints "Out".