David Crayford says...

> ...It would be fantastic to have bash as the default shell for z/OS but that
> ain't gonna happen anytime soon :)

FWIW: Here's how I tend to work on z/OS.

* I leave my default login shell (in the OMVS segment) as /bin/sh.
* I have my .profile/.bash_profile/.bashrc files set up to switch me to bash
   immediately (though my files are set up to work with /bin/sh , just in case).
* I usually write shell scripts with a #!/bin/sh shebang (giving up some bash
   features in scripts).

It works for me. I get bash interactive behavior, but my scripts don't require
bash.
Yes, a compromise, but one I consider acceptable. The Rocket bash port has
some advantages in a mixed-encoding environment (_BPXK_AUTOCVT=ON).

Since I run nearly all my shells in an emacs buffer anyway, shell interactive
behavior
isn't something I usually care much about anyway. :-)

-- Jerry