I was unaware of the PERFORMPENDINGDELETE option. Nice.
Anecdotal: I'm a automation administrator, and have struggled with
NetView's DSILIST data set that is used to retain various automation table
listings/reports. IBM recommends allocating this data set as a PDSE to
avoid Sx37 ABENDs and/or the need to compress. Well, guess what?

IEC031I D37-04,IGG0210B,NETVIEW,NETVIEW,SYS89298,602D,SH9DAK,
NETVIEW.NET97.DSILIST(INGMRT01)

IEC217I B14-0C,IGG0201Z,NETVIEW,NETVIEW,SYS89298,602D,SH9DAK,
NETVIEW.NET97.DSILIST(INGMRT01)

I don't have the result of IEBPDSE, but if I recall, there were 83 pending
deletes at the time. This is on a test system, so nothing I was terribly
concerned with.
After reading your question, I exercised "PERFORMPENDINGDELETE" with the
following result:

IGW705I Pending Delete Records Processed
00000000 Pending Delete Members deleted
Out of 00000014 possible

What?! <expletive deleted>
NetView has a "REACC" command that does some magic in the background (
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSZJDU_6.2.1/com.ibm.itnetviewforzos.doc_6.2.1/dqc_reacc.htm).
Other doc references for the REACC command include: "If the data set
becomes full and you must compress the data set to add more command lists,
use the REACC command...".
I issued REACC and attempted "PERFORMPENDINGDELETE" again, with the
following result:

IGW705I Pending Delete Records Processed
00000014 Pending Delete Members deleted
Out of 00000014 possible

Much better.
While I can't help with the question of "what really happens...", it does
seem that -something- must happen to the PDSE to allow successful deletion
of those members. In the case of this particular NetView data set, "REACC"
appears to be that thing. Perhaps in the case of LLA managed data sets, it
would be the "F LLA,UPDATE=..."?