From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Jon
Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Who writes these things?

 > On Monday, September 23, 2019, 03:35:42 PM PDT, Seymour J Metz wrote:

> Indeed, but HTML is not one of them. HTML has syntax for encapsulating a
> script in some other language, but it is not in itself a scripting language.

 Actually, HTML is a scripting language and object oriented. Certainly not the
best example but it does qualify.

First, HTML is a run time language that primarily causes the specified
activities to occur within a web browser.

Second, CSS scripting features are not obvious. An easily understood example is
the mouse hover feature. It also has nth, even / odd and other features that
are intended to reduce the usage of javascript.

Third, we now consider javascript to be a separate language because of NODEJS
but it was originally developed specifically for HTML. Just because the syntax
is radically different doesn't mean it can't be considered part of HTML.

A terminology debate is futile because Unix ensures that terminology is so
vague that you can justify anything. E.g. "Robotic Operating System" (ros.org)
requires a real OS on each computer but technically does coordinate among all
hardware within a robot. I never realized that sysplex is actually an OS.

Look up the word "macro" for the epitome of vague and all encompassing which is
why C has macro's instead of substitution language (think copybook that can be
used many times in a single program). By their definition, the IBM POP is full
of macros instead of instructions. Are programming languages actually macro
languages? How many macro's are in this Email?

Even new terminology such as Cloud, AI, and Machine Learning are changed to
meet what we can do instead of what it should be. Look at the original cloud
specification and you will realize they were talking about z/OS. Look at it
today and you won't recognize it any more because Unix could not meet those
requirements. z/OS is still a cloud environment but now many other products are
able to compete with z/OS for the cloud title.

Jon.