On Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 11:13:19 AM PDT, Seymour J Metz wrote:
 > The format of an HTML parse tree constructed by,
> e.g., a Perl program, is not compatible with JavaScript.

You are referring to XML parse tree. HTML parse tree's do not exist outside web
browsers. Even Nodejs parses uses the XML parser instead of the HTML parser.
> The objects and attributes of HTML have nothing to do with the things >
> called objects and attributes in an OO language.

Sure they do. JavaScript OO was specifically designed around DOM. This has
caused a huge debate about JavaScript being OO. The argument is about OO
enforcement which had to be lax because of the DOM design.

JavaScript is part of HTML. JavaScript could not exist outside of HTML until
2009 (nodejs). JavaScripts OO was designed around the DOM object created by
browsers from the HTML. The DOM has "on" events which could not run outside of
HTML up to 2009. JavaScript OO was developed to support DOM.

Are you saying the seats in your car are not part of your car?

> CSS is not even Turing complete, much less an OO language or a scripting
> language.

I never said that CSS is OO. However it does have scripting capabilities that
are not obvious which I mentioned in a previous email. Just like javascript,
CSS is part of HTML. It is only accessible and usable in HTML.

> JavaScript was created as a Scripting language for web sites;
> not as an extension of HTML.

Only Netscape supported javascript for web sites. The rest of the world only
accepted JavaScript as part of HTML.

> IBM never referred to copy books as macro instructions

You missed my point which is the definition of "macro" which you said has not
changed since 1950. What main stream languages prior to C (1970) used the word
"macro" in the same way as C? Everyone understands "copy book" functionality. I
referenced "copy book" because it's similar to C "macro" functionality.

When did "macro" go from "special purpose command language" to being "copy"?
Did we eventually just accept the C definition of "macro" because of it's wide
spread use?

In the end, this is all just terminology. In the end, I've learned to just
accept that groups definition and move forward

Jon.